Children who have trouble self regulating throughout the day are missing out on typical childhood experiences in school, on the playground and with their families. This workshop looks at the underlying factors of poor self-regulation and how they affect the child.
Experienced presenter, Teresa Garland, will teach you practical interventions and how to create simple, but effective programs in clinical, school and home settings:
- Sensory therapy techniques
- Simple self-management and video modeling programs
- Sensory lifestyle
- First person stories
- Energy regulation techniques
- Emotional regulation techniques
- Communication methods
- Transition strategies
- Behavioral Strategies
Clinical programs such as Interactive Metronome®, Sound Therapy, and Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT™) will be discussed, as will timely topics such as medication vs. non-medication for ADHD and new insights from research into biomedical aspects of autism. You will receive written handouts and a list of resources.
Format: DVD Video – 4+ hours
Details: Multi-disc DVD recording (6 hours, 24 minutes) with electronic manual and instructions.
Author: TERESA GARLAND, MOT, OTR/L
How Self-Regulation Affects a Child’s Physical, Mental and Emotional Wellbeing
- Overlay of systems
- Overlap with sensory modulation disorder,
- ADHD, autism, giftedness, anxiety and related conditions
Sensory Processing Disorder (SPD)
- Vestibular, proprioceptive, and sensory modulation characteristics
- Strategies for home and school
- Making it right: case studies and videos
- Sensory diet vs. a sensory lifestyle
- The big therapies: Interactive
- Metronome®(IM), Sound Therapy, brushing and sensory diets
- Parker’s guidelines for giving meds
- Greenspan’s strategies for avoiding meds
- Cognitive strategies, attention strategies and mindfulness meditation
- As a powerful behavior program for ADHD
- Case study on breaking “stimming” habits
- Role play & video modeling
- Teaching functional skills
- Catching child “being good”
- Working with Emotions
- Art and music
- Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT)
- Polyvagal Theory and autism
- Communication strategies that provide control
- Match-and-repeat technique for social engagement
- Dealing with picky eating and poor sleep habits
- Behavioral strategies for eliminating difficult behavior
First Person Stories & Strategies for Smooth Transitions
- Discuss social interactions
- Describe relevant social cues and behaviors
- Examples of transitional activities
- Music, Me-Moves™
- Deep pressure, Ease™
Teresa Garland, MOT, OTRL, graduated with her MOT. She became intrigued with sensory integration and quickly obtained her certification. She avidly pursued theoretical and practical knowledge about the children she treated, trying in particular to understand their difficulty with self-control. As she conducted research and sought to make a contribution to this area of study, she produced a blog, http://otselfregulation.blogspot.com. Soon she was giving workshops on self-regulation for children with autism, ADHD and sensory disorders. Along the way, Teresa worked with children in clinics and schools in New Mexico, California and Michigan and with children with autism in the office of a Defeat Autism Now (DAN) doctor. Teresa has a Master’s Degree in Occupational Therapy from the University of New Mexico. She is married and lives in Plymouth, Michigan. She is author of the book, Self-Regulation Interventions and Strategies (Premier Publishing and Media, 2013).
"Teresa is a mastered clinician and also a fantastic presenter. I appreciated how she tailored the course to the audience. Best course all year!"
- Sue Wahl (Pathways Therapy) | Oakville, ON | May 12, 2014
"Teresa had a wealth of information to share about her life's passion. Very appreciated! Thank you for sharing your valuable resources and expertise."
- Oakville, ON | May 12, 2014
"Teresa was a pleasure to listen to all day, she provided very practical information as well as relevant information for therapists that have been in practice for many years."
- Ottawa, ON | May 14, 2014
"The instructor had a very gentle, approachable style to her presentation. The topics were extremely applicable to my practice."
- Oakville, ON | May 12, 2014
More information: otselfregulation.blogspot.com