Researchers have found that even more than IQ, your emotional awareness and ability to handle feelings will determine your success and happiness in all walks of life, including family relationships. Good parenting begins in the heart, and then continues on a moment-to-moment basis by engaging children when feelings run high, when they are sad, angry, or scared. The heart of parenting or working with children in a clinical setting is being there in a particular way when it really counts. This talk explains how to teach children to understand and regulate their emotional world. Throughout this talk, the Gottmans explain to listeners the five-steps of the “emotion coaching” process. This talk is based upon Dr. Gottman’s globally influential book, Raising an Emotionally Intelligent Child: The Heart of Parenting.
- Discuss the five-steps of the “emotion coaching” process.
- Explain how to predict how a child will do in the long run, how emotion coaching impacts physical health, helps kids self soothe and affects their ability to interact with their peers
- Become aware of a child’s smaller emotions so they don’t have to escalate
- Recognize emotional expression as an opportunity for intimacy and teaching
- Listen empathetically and validate a child’s feelings
- Label emotions in words a child can understand
- Help a child come up with an appropriate way to solve a problem or deal with an upsetting issue or situation
Length: 1 hour 58 minutes