Date & Location
Wednesday, October 4, 2017 – Wednesday, November 8, 2017
Each session will be made available at 11:00am on the scheduled dates:
- Wednesday, October 4, 2017
- Wednesday, October 11, 2017
- Wednesday, October 18, 2017
- Wednesday, October 25, 2017
- Wednesday, November 1, 2017
- Wednesday, November 8, 2017
Recordings are available after each session’s air date and times. Participants can watch, pause and re-watch the sessions at their convenience.
Access expires on November 22, 2017.
Extensions will not be granted.
Quick: During your professional training, how many hours were dedicated to establishing a private practice and running a business? If you’re like most people, the answer is either “none” or “almost none.” No surprises, then, that we have a lot of frustration when we set out on our own. In this webinar designed specifically for Canadian mental health professionals, Dr Randy Paterson (author of Private Practice Made Simple) emphasizes the specifics of defining, establishing, enhancing, and maintaining an effective, remunerative, and enjoyable private practice. The goal is not simply to be inspirational. If you’re contemplating this course, you already have the inspiration. You need the specifics. How can you best define the scope of your service? How do you select, furnish and sound-dampen office space? What are the tax implications? Is payroll difficult to set up? What about GST/HST? What are some things you can do to avoid isolation and burnout? The goal is to provide you with the detail you need to make your work life simpler and more sustaining.
Online Course Format
- 6 Week Online Training – presented by Randy Paterson, Ph.D.
- 2 hours per session, 6 sessions
- 12 CEUs
- Each session will consist of 2 hours of teaching content
- Interactive – All students can email queries to Dr Paterson based on the content; once a week a digest of the best questions will be group-emailed to all participants. Questions that are less generally-applicable will be answered individually.
- Recordings Available – Sessions will be pre-recorded and available for participants to access after the live date. All recordings will be available until two weeks after the online course is complete.
Agenda & Learning Objectives
Week 1: Designing Your Business
- An examination of common fantasies and fears
- Defining your scope of practice
- Creating a sustainable task balance
- How much does the business need to make?
- Creating an initial business plan
- Selecting a practice name
Week 2: The Money Side
- The difference between revenue and income
- The most important monthly number to monitor
- Should you incorporate?
- Handling Canadian taxation as a private business
- Business licenses
- Registering your business
- Setting fees
- Working with an accountant
- Financial record keeping made stupidly easy
Week 3: Creating Your Space
- Choosing a location
- How to evaluate potential office space
- What about a home office?
- Leases and zoning
- Soundproofing how-to’s
- Furnishing your space
- Props and layout
- The waiting room as therapy
Week 4: Service Promotion
- Logos and layouts at low cost
- The importance of a web presence
- Developing your website
- Working with a website designer
- Monitoring visitors and usage
- Adwords and Analytics
- Identifying your best referral sources
- Practice announcements and more
Week 5: Colleagues, Assistants, and Income
- When to expand
- Bringing colleagues into the practice
- Partnership versus proprietorship
- Do you need an assistant?
- Clinic policies and procedures
- Client information systems
- Setting up payroll and payroll tax
- Selling your practice
Week 6: Sustainability for the Long Haul
- Rejigging your task balance
- Making it sustainable from Day One
- Imposing work/home boundaries
- Fostering collegiality in an isolating business
- The necessity of time off
- Avoiding burnout in 12 hard steps
- Decide whether private practice is really for you.
- Create a business plan.
- Know how and where to establish a new office.
- Set up simple and effective financial record keeping.
- Manage finances on an ongoing basis.
Continuing Education Credits
Randy Paterson, Ph.D, R.Psych. is the founder and owner of Changeways Clinic, one of Vancouver’s largest psychotherapy services. He has treated individuals experiencing difficulty at the transition to adulthood for over 20 years, and has lectured on the phenomenon in public presentations. Dr Paterson has presented numerous educational programs over the past 25 years on subjects ranging from diversity awareness to depression treatment to psychotherapy process. One of his primary interests is the intersection of existential and cognitive behavioural approaches to therapy. His research publications include papers on depression, stress, anxiety, attention, and attachment theory. He is the author of Private Practice Made Simple, How to be Miserable: 40 Strategies You Already Use, The Assertiveness Workbook, and Your Depression Map.
More information: http://www.changeways.com/aboutus/staff/drpaterson/drpaterson.html
Who Should Attend
Clinical Professionals: All mental health professionals including, but not limited to Clinical Counsellors, Psychologists, Psychotherapists, Social Workers, Nurses, Occupational Therapists, Hospice and Palliative Care Workers, Youth Workers, Mental Health Workers, Addiction Specialists, Probation Officers, Police Officers, Speech Language Pathologists, Vocational Rehabilitation Consultants and all professionals looking to enhance their therapeutic skills.
Registration & Fees
|Registration||Early bird Fee||Regular Fee|
All fees are in Canadian dollars ($CAD).
For group rates contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Fees do not include applicable taxes (5% GST).
Early bird cutoff date: October 4, 2017
To receive the early bird rate, registration and payment must be received by Wednesday, October 4, 2017.
Please review our Registration Terms and Conditions for information on our cancellation policy, payment policies, rebates, and more. You must agree to our Terms and Conditions to register for a workshop or conference.
All brochures and forms are provided in .PDF format.
If you are unable to open our files, we recommend downloading Adobe Reader for free.
There are no related events at this time.