NOTE: The seminar manual, CE information, and CE test are contained on disc #1 in PDF format. To access these documents, play disc #1 in your computer. For the video presentation, begin playing disc #1 in your DVD player.
Stress from kids or dealing with problems like Attention Deficit Disorder can aggravate depression, anxiety, impulse control disorders, marital discord, substance abuse and a host of other psychological problems in parents. Research shows that the 1-2-3 Magic parenting program can not only improve children’s cooperation and reduce misbehavior, but it can also reduce parental stress, hostility and depression.
John expert, Thomas Phelan, Ph.D., and learn how to teach America’s #1 child discipline program, 1-2-3 Magic: Effective Discipline for Children 2-12. This evidence-based, easy-to-learn method will help you promote effective parenting in a way that engages both moms and dads and that also allows family members to enjoy one another’s company again. Use 1-2-3 Magic to increase the effectiveness of your parenting outreach, simplify service delivery and assist with differential diagnosis.
The formula for this success is straightforward: The plan is simple, it’s easy to learn, and it works. Help the families you work with to enjoy one another’s company again—your clients will thank you!
- Define the three fundamental parenting jobs
- Demonstrate one simple method to get children to stop obnoxious behavior
- Summarize seven tactics for encouraging good behavior
- Identify four strategies for strengthening parent/child relationships
- Describe how to encourage and respect a child’s growing independence
- Explain how silence can speak louder than words
Introduction to 1-2-3 Magic
- The most motivated clients in the world
- History of 1-2-3 Magic
- Excellent preventive mental health
- Child discipline and marriages
Training Model for Single Family or Small Group Training
- Review of homework success and difficulties
- Significance of new 1-2-3 Magic concepts to be presented
- Planning home applications and role-play
- Advance troubleshooting
Workshop Sample: Thinking Straight About Parenting
- Orientation to the parenting profession
- The three parenting jobs
- The little adult assumption
- The two biggest discipline mistakes
The Theory Behind the Success of 1-2-3 Magic
- Cognitive restructuring resonates with parental experience and frustration
- Simplicity and rapid, substantial results reinforce compliance
- Three parenting jobs mutually supportive in family system
- Unique behavior management technology
Workshop Sample: Parenting Job #1 – Controlling Obnoxious Behavior
- Counting obnoxious behavior
- Out in public
- The kickoff conversation
- The six kinds of testing and manipulation
Workshop Sample: Parenting Job #2 – Encouraging Good Behavior
- Establishing positive routines
- Up and out in the morning
- Cleaning up and chores
- Going to bed—and staying there!
Workshop Sample: Parenting Job #3 –Strengthening Parent/Child Relationships
- Sympathetic listening
- Real magic: One-on-one fun
- When can you talk? Solving problems together
- Kids, tweens and tech
- The no-talking, no-emotion rules and slipping
- Involving dads and other caretakers
- Pre- and post-testing
- Counting start behavior
- Overfocus on counting
- Omitting relationship strengthening
- Differential diagnosis and special needs kids
Workshop Sample: Enjoying the New Family Life
- Staying on the wagon
- The new life
Question and Answer
ABOUT THOMAS PHELAN, Ph.D.
Thomas W. Phelan, Ph.D., is the author of numerous books, DVDs and audios, some of which include: 1-2-3 Magic: Effective Discipline for Children 2-12, 1-2-3 Magic for Teachers: Effective Classroom Discipline Pre-K through Grade 8, Surviving Your Adolescents: How to Manage – and Let Go Of – Your 13-18 Year Olds, and several others. In addition to writing and producing, Dr. Phelan maintains an active schedule of international lectures, and he is a frequent guest on radio and television. His articles appear in numerous regional and national publications.
A registered clinical psychologist, Thomas W. Phelan, Ph.D. has worked with children, adults and families for over 35 years. He is a member of the American Psychological Association and the Illinois Psychological Association. Dr. Phelan received his Doctorate from Loyola University, Chicago, after completing his internship at the Loyola Child Guidance Center. He worked at the DuPage County Mental Health Center prior to entering into private practice. Dr. Phelan has also served on the boards of directors for both ADDA and CHADD, two national organizations for the parents of children with ADD. He was inducted into the CHADD Hall of Fame in 1997.
Dr. Phelan and his wife of 35 years raised two children and experienced first-hand many of the problems he now helps parents tackle. “My goal is to help parents avoid some of the turmoil we experienced, and which I hear about from other parents every day,” comments Phelan. “With some basic understanding of what makes children and teenagers tick—and a ton of patience—parenthood can provide some of life’s greatest satisfactions.”
Counselors, Social Workers, Psychologists, Psychotherapists, Therapists, Marriage & Family Therapists, Occupational Therapists, Teachers, School Guidance Counselors, Case Managers, School Administrators, Educational Paraprofessionals, Speech-Language Pathologists, Nurses, Other Helping Professionals that work with children
Author: Thomas W. Phelan
Length: 4 DVDs
Duration: 5 hours, 49 minutes