2 Day Intensive: Using Dialectical Behaviour Therapy to Treat Emotion Dysregulation Disorders
Presented by Sheri Van Dijk, MSW, RSW
Monday, December 6, 2021 – Tuesday, December 7, 2021 | Richmond, bc
TWO REGISTRATION OPTIONS AVAILABLE
IN PERSON: To register for this in person event, please scroll to the bottom of this page and select “Register Online”
LIVE STREAM: If you cannot attend this event in person, we will also be hosting a live streaming version. For more information and registration for the live stream option, please CLICK HERE
Dialectical behaviour therapy (DBT) is a treatment originally designed to treat borderline personality disorder (BPD). In recent years it has been increasingly used to treat many other disorders because of its usefulness in treating clients unable to manage emotions.
Following an introduction to DBT theory and how this treatment differs from traditional cognitive behaviour therapy (CBT), Sheri Van Dijk will discuss how DBT can be applied to working with clients facing a broad range of conditions such as depression, anxiety and bipolar disorder, in which emotion dysregulation plays a key role.
Through lecture and experiential exercises, you will explore the four modules of DBT skills (Core Mindfulness, Distress Tolerance, Emotion Regulation, and Interpersonal Effectiveness) and learn how to teach these skills to your clients. You will learn how to format DBT sessions to provide the structure your dysregulated clients need.
In addition, Sheri will introduce DBT strategies to help foster the therapeutic relationship, maximize therapeutic gains, and reduce the likelihood of therapist burnout.
Agenda & Learning Objectives
- Background of DBT
- The DBT Model, Research, Adapting DBT, DBT for Other Diagnoses Biosocial Theory of BPD
- Dialectics, Validation & Other Dialectical Strategies
- Behaviour Theory & Contingency Management
- Behaviour Tracking Sheet
- Behavioural Analysis Exercise
- DBT Skills: Mindfulness & How to Teach It
- Core Mindfulness Skills
- Finish off Core Mindfulness Skills
- Introduction to Emotion Regulation Skills
- Complete Discussion of Emotions Regulation Skills
- Introduce Interpersonal Effectiveness Skills
- Finish IE Skills
- Introduce Distress Tolerance Skills
- Finish DT Skills
- Pro’s and Con’s exercise
- Radical Acceptance
- Willingness vs. Wilfulness
- Solution Analysis
- How to teach your clients the four sets of DBT skills to help them get through crisis situations without making the situation worse; to manage their emotions more effectively; and to develop and maintain healthier relationships
- How to apply DBT skills to a range of psychiatric illnesses and other problems of daily living (e.g. low self-esteem, difficulties managing anger)
- Dialectical strategies to address clients who are “stuck” in therapy, resulting in inertia or unhealthy mechanisms of escape and avoidance, and how these strategies can lead to transformational healing
- Tools such as the Tracking Sheet and the Behavioural Analysis to increase structure in sessions and to help clients move toward change
- Behaviour Theory techniques to help clients understand what might be maintaining their problem behaviours and to get unstuck from these ingrained patterns
- Skills to help you improve your own sense of efficacy in therapy, and reduce the likelihood of therapist burnout
Continuing Education Credits
This workshop has been formally approved by the following associations:
- Canadian College of Professional Counsellors and Psychotherapists (CCPCP)
- Canadian Professional Counsellors Association (CPCA)
- Canadian Psychological Association (CPA)
- Canadian Vocational Rehabilitation Association (VRA)
- Indigenous Certification Board of Canada (ICBOC)
† The Alberta College of Social Workers (ACSW) and the Newfoundland and Labrador Association of Social Workers (NLASW) accept CPA-approved CEUs.
* Participants will receive a certificate of completion after every workshop. Workshops are pre-approved for 5.5 or 6 credits per day unless otherwise specified.
This workshop may be may be eligible for CEUs from the following associations: Show more
- Canadian Association of Social Workers (CASW)
- Canadian Centre for Accreditation (CCA)
- Canadian College of Professional Counsellor & Psychotherapists (CCPCP)
- College of Registered Psychotherapists of Ontario (CRPO)
- Ontario Association for Marriage and Family Therapy (OAMFT)
- Ontario Association of Child and Youth Care (OACYC)
- Ontario Association of Consultants, Counsellors, Psychometrists and Psychotherapists (OACCPP)
- Ontario College of Social Workers and Social Service Workers (OCSWSSW)
- Ontario Society of Psychotherapists (OSP)
* Please contact your accrediting body for more information on individual association requirements.
Sheri Van Dijk, MSW, RSW, is a Social Worker, registered with the Ontario College of Social Workers and Social Service Workers. She has been working in the mental health field since 2000, most of which she has spent both in private practice and at Southlake Regional Health Centre, working with clients with severe mental health problems. Sheri has had extensive training in mindfulness, DBT and CBT, and has been running DBT-informed groups since 2004.
“Sheri did an amazing job presenting and drawing from her own experiences to help teach these concepts during the training. Your wealth of knowledge and expertise has totally recharged me and given me more tools to use in the DBT skills group that I run with my colleague.”
– Lindsay | Calgary, AB | May 17-18, 2017
“She was very insightful and relatable. Her examples were real and easy to relate back to the material. Overall, the workshop was very enjoyable and I would definitely attend another if offered”
– Calgary, AB | May 17-18, 2017
Who Should Attend
Clinical Professionals: All mental health professionals including, but not limited to Clinical Counsellors, Psychologists, Psychotherapists, Social Workers, Nurses, Occupational Therapists, Hospice and Palliative Care Workers, School Counsellors, Youth Workers, Mental Health Workers, Addiction Specialists, Marital & Family Therapists, Speech Language Pathologists, Vocational Rehabilitation Consultants and all professionals looking to enhance their therapeutic skills.
Executive Hotel Vancouver Airport
7311 Westminster Hwy
Richmond, BC V6X 1A3
For reservations, guests may call locally at 604-278-5555 or toll free at 1-800-663-2878 by mentioning the group name “Jack Hirose & Associates”
*please note, room reservations are subject to availability*
Please keep in mind when booking Jack Hirose and Associates corporate guest rooms, reservations booked for most hotels can be cancelled within 48 hours . If you are booking guest rooms through third party websites in many instances the reservations booked cannot not be cancelled.
Granville Island Hotel
1253 Johnston Street
To make a reservation, please call 604-683-7373.
When booking hotel rooms, ask for the Jack Hirose and Associates corporate rate. To receive our corporate rate, rooms must be booked one month prior to the workshop date. Please keep in mind hotel rates may fluctuate.
Registration & Fees
|Registration||Early bird Fee||Regular Fee|
All fees are in Canadian Dollars ($CAD)
Fees do not include applicable taxes (5% GST).
Early bird cutoff date: November 22, 2021
To receive the early bird rate, registration and payment must be received by Monday, November 22, 2021.
Please review our Registration Terms and Conditions for information on our cancellation policy, payment policies, rebates, and more. You must agree to our Terms and Conditions to register for a workshop or conference.
All brochures and forms are provided in .PDF format.
If you are unable to open our files, we recommend downloading Adobe Reader for free.
Exhibitors are welcome at this event. We are pleased to offer sponsorship opportunities to businesses and organizations that provide services related to nursing, psychotherapy, addictions treatment, counselling, marriage & family therapy, psychology and other related fields.
→ More information
There are no related events at this time.