Compassion Fatigue & Burnout
Presented by Eric Gentry, Ph.D.
Monday, May 13, 2019 | Calgary, ab
This workshop has been identified by hundreds of professionals as life changing, essential, and exhilarating. Join Dr. Eric Gentry, a recognized leader in the area of compassion fatigue, and learn evidence-based compassion, resiliency, and prevention skills drawn from the Accelerated Recovery Program for Compassion Fatigue and Burnout. Learn self-regulation-practical skills that are critical to your being maximally effective with your clients and improving treatment outcomes. For the past 30 years, research has been steadily accumulating to demonstrate that caring has its costs. We now know that working with others who suffer from mental illness, addiction, pain, abuse, social deprivation, and trauma have negative effects on the caregivers many of which are potentially debilitating. Compassion fatigue has been identified as a cause for symptoms of depression, anxiety, chemical dependency, eating disorders, relational problems, psychological disorders, and suicide among professionals. If practitioners know how to effectively prevent and conquer stress, burnout, and compassion fatigue, they become more effective and productive.
In this workshop, you will learn powerful tools (the anti-bodies) that are critical for professional resiliency and integrate them into your practice immediately. Additionally, you will leave with techniques to teach and help your clients improve their lives. This workshop integrates the latest research and practice wisdom to help you reclaim the satisfaction, hope, and inspiration of professional care giving.
Agenda & Learning Objectives
Welcome: Getting in tune with Compassion Fatigue
- Active ingredients for effective treatment of traumatic stress
The Problem: Compassion Fatigue Etiology & Symptoms
- Stress = Perceived Threat
- Ambient Secondary Traumatic Stress
- Brain & Body
- Sympathetic vs. Parasympathetic Dominance
- Compassion Fatigue Didactic
- Secondary Traumatic Stress: Causes, Prevention, & Cure
- Burnout: Causes, Prevention, & Cure
The Solution: Compassion Fatigue Resiliency
- The Covenant
- Didactic: Breaching Integrity & Sympathetic Dominance
- Instruction: Physiological Intervention for shifting from Sympathetic to Parasympathetic dominance
- Understand the causes, treatment, and prevention of compassion fatigue, burnout, secondary traumatic stress, caregiver stress, countertransference, and vicarious traumatization
- Explain how compassion fatigue erodes professional resiliency
- Implement skills for successful self-regulation
- Demonstrate an increased capacity to remain comfortable and maximally effective regardless of external demands
- Develop a personalized professional moral compass for the starting point for professional maturation and resiliency
- Implement simple, yet powerful, strategies to prevent the symptoms of Compassion Fatigue
- Create self-directed, easy-to-use, personalized Professional Resiliency Plan
- Describe the importance of Self- versus Other
- Validate caregiving as an integral component of professional resiliency
Continuing Education Credits
Eric Gentry, Ph.D., is an internationally recognized leader in the field of disaster and clinical traumatology, having trained thousands of professionals and paraprofessionals worldwide in the treatment of traumatic stress. His doctorate is from Florida State University where he studied with Professor Charles Figley, one of the pioneers of traumatic stress. Dr. Gentry was one of the original faculty members of the Traumatology Institute and later became the co-director of the International Traumatology Institute at the University of South Florida. Dr. Gentry, along with Dr. Anna Baranowsky, is the co-author and co-owner of the Traumatology Institute Training Curriculum—17 courses in field and clinical traumatology leading to seven separate certifications. He is also a founding board member and vice-president of the International Association of Trauma Professionals (IATP). Dr. Gentry has been a clinical member of several CISM teams and has provided assistance in many different disaster and critical incidents including Oklahoma City, New York City, and hurricanes in Florida.
“Really enjoyed Dr. Gentry; appreciated his passion and down to earth delivery. Please bring him back for additional training. Day 3 was my favourite!”
– Calgary, AB | November 27 – 29, 2017
“Eric Gentry was absolutely amazing! Please bring him to Saskatchewan.”
– Calgary, AB | November 27 – 29, 2017
“This course was a game changer. I’m excited to leave with my new found tools in my tool belt and head back to work and get started.”
– Kelly | Winnipeg, MB | October 30 – 31, 2017
“One of the best workshops I’ve attended – very professional; good mix of information and interaction + skill-building. Excellent rapport with group and made so comfortable for open discussions of the subject matter.”
– Evelyn Steginus | Winnipeg, MB | October 30 – 31, 2017
Who Should Attend
Clinical Professionals: All mental health professionals including, but not limited to Clinical Counsellors, Psychologists, Psychotherapists, Social Workers, Nurses, Occupational Therapists, Hospice and Palliative Care Workers, Youth Workers, Mental Health Workers, Addiction Specialists, Marital & Family Therapists, Speech Language Pathologists, Vocational Rehabilitation Consultants and all professionals looking to enhance their therapeutic skills.
Executive Royal Inn Calgary
2828 23rd Street NE, Calgary, AB, T2E 8T4
To make a reservation, please call 1.877.769.2562 and refer to the Jack Hirose & Associates group rate.
Alternatively, please refer to the Jack Hirose & Associates group rate code: ROYAL-JACK
*Please note, room reservations are subject to availability*
When booking hotel rooms, ask for the Jack Hirose and Associates corporate rate. To receive our corporate rate, rooms must be booked one month prior to the workshop date. Please keep in mind hotel rates may fluctuate.
Registration & Fees
|Registration||Early bird Fee||Regular Fee|
|COMPASSION FATIGUE & BURNOUT|
|TRAUMA COMPETENCY TRAINING|
|3 Day Option: Attend Both Dr. Gentry Workshops and SAVE!|
All fees are in Canadian dollars ($CAD).
Fees do not include applicable taxes (5% GST).
Early bird cutoff date: April 29, 2019
To receive the early bird rate, registration and payment must be received by Monday, April 29, 2019.
Please review our Registration Terms and Conditions for information on our cancellation policy, payment policies, rebates, and more. You must agree to our Terms and Conditions to register for a workshop or conference.
All brochures and forms are provided in .PDF format.
If you are unable to open our files, we recommend downloading Adobe Reader for free.
Exhibitors are welcome at this event. We are pleased to offer sponsorship opportunities to businesses and organizations that provide services related to nursing, psychotherapy, addictions treatment, counselling, marriage & family therapy, psychology and other related fields.
→ More information
There are no related events at this time.