DBT Skills to Treat Clients, Maximize Therapeutic Gains and Reduce Therapist Burnout
Presented by Sheri Van Dijk, MSW, RSW
Thursday, November 24, 2022 – Friday, November 25, 2022 | Calgary, ab
Through lecture and experiential exercises, you will explore the four modules of DBT skills (Core Mindfulness, Distress Tolerance, Emotion Regulation, and Interpersonal Effectiveness) and learn how to teach these skills to your clients. You will learn how to format DBT sessions to provide the structure your dysregulated clients need.
Sheri will introduce DBT strategies to help foster the therapeutic relationship, maximize therapeutic gains and reduce the likelihood of therapist burnout.
Agenda & Learning Objectives
- Background of DBT
- The DBT Model, Research, Adapting DBT, DBT for Other Diagnoses Biosocial Theory of BPD
- Dialectics, Validation & Other Dialectical Strategies
- Behaviour Theory & Contingency Management
- Behaviour Tracking Sheet
- Behavioural Analysis Exercise
- DBT Skills: Mindfulness & How to Teach It
- Core Mindfulness Skills
- Finish off Core Mindfulness Skills
- Introduction to Emotion Regulation Skills
- Complete Discussion of Emotions Regulation Skills
- Introduce Interpersonal Effectiveness Skills
- Finish IE Skills
- Introduce Distress Tolerance Skills
- Finish DT Skills
- Pro’s and Con’s exercise
- Radical Acceptance
- Willingness vs. Wilfulness
- Solution Analysis
- How to teach your clients the four sets of DBT skills to help them get through crisis situations without making the situation worse; to manage their emotions more effectively; and to develop and maintain healthier relationships
- How to apply DBT skills to a range of psychiatric illnesses and other problems of daily living (e.g. low self-esteem, difficulties managing anger)
- Dialectical strategies to address clients who are “stuck” in therapy, resulting in inertia or unhealthy mechanisms of escape and avoidance, and how these strategies can lead to transformational healing
- Tools such as the Tracking Sheet and the Behavioural Analysis to increase structure in sessions and to help clients move toward change
- Behaviour Theory techniques to help clients understand what might be maintaining their problem behaviours and to get unstuck from these ingrained patterns
- Skills to help you improve your own sense of efficacy in therapy, and reduce the likelihood of therapist burnout
Continuing Education Credits
Sheri Van Dijk, MSW, RSW, is a Social Worker, registered with the Ontario College of Social Workers and Social Service Workers. She has been working in the mental health field since 2000, most of which she has spent both in private practice and at Southlake Regional Health Centre, working with clients with severe mental health problems. Sheri has had extensive training in mindfulness, DBT and CBT, and has been running DBT-informed groups since 2004.
“Sheri did an amazing job presenting and drawing from her own experiences to help teach these concepts during the training. Your wealth of knowledge and expertise has totally recharged me and given me more tools to use in the DBT skills group that I run with my colleague.”
– Lindsay | Calgary, AB | May 17-18, 2017
“She was very insightful and relatable. Her examples were real and easy to relate back to the material. Overall, the workshop was very enjoyable and I would definitely attend another if offered”
– Calgary, AB | May 17-18, 2017
Who Should Attend
Clinical Professionals: All mental health professionals including, but not limited to Clinical Counsellors, Psychologists, Psychotherapists, Social Workers, Nurses, Occupational Therapists, Hospice and Palliative Care Workers, School Counsellors, Youth Workers, Mental Health Workers, Addiction Specialists, Marital & Family Therapists, Speech Language Pathologists, Vocational Rehabilitation Consultants and all professionals looking to enhance their therapeutic skills.
Registration & Fees
|Registration||Early bird Fee||Regular Fee|
All fees are in Canadian Dollars ($CAD)
Fees do not include applicable taxes (5% GST).
Early bird cutoff date: November 10, 2022
To receive the early bird rate, registration and payment must be received by Thursday, November 10, 2022.
Please review our Registration Terms and Conditions for information on our cancellation policy, payment policies, rebates, and more. You must agree to our Terms and Conditions to register for a workshop or conference.
All brochures and forms are provided in .PDF format.
If you are unable to open our files, we recommend downloading Adobe Reader for free.
There are no related events at this time.