The Neuropsychology of Emotional Disorders: A Framework for Effective Interventions
Day One: The Calgary Educators' Conference
Presented by Steven G. Feifer, D.Ed., ABSNP
Wednesday, May 8, 2019 | Calgary, ab
This workshop will explore the neural architecture of emotional behaviour by examining various brain structures laying the foundation for higher level social skill functioning. Specific biological factors related to the development of social competence and emotional self-regulation will be explored. There will be a detailed discussion on behavioural self-regulation, anxiety disorders, and depression from a brain-based educational perspective. Particular focus will be on factors leading to emotional dysregulation and the neurobiological underpinnings of stress. Schools can enhance emotional wellness in children through early prevention efforts, appropriate assessment strategies, and an improved school climate to foster emotional growth for all children.
Agenda & Learning Objectives
- The coding conundrum for children with emotional disorders
- Curbing bullying behaviour in our schools
- Neural architecture of emotional regulation
- Emotional disorders, behaviour and academic success
- Treatment for anxiety, depression, and self regulation disorders
- De-escalating behaviour and promoting social-emotional learning
- Assessment of social-emotional disorders
- Discuss the relationship between emotional disorders and poor self regulation skills, bullying behaviour, and limited academic success in school
- Discuss the neural architecture of emotional functioning by examining six key brain regions responsible for behavioural self-regulation
- Explore the neurobiological correlates and treatment options for psychopathy and emotional dysregulation, depression, and anxiety disorders in children
- Present a treatment algorithm utilizing counseling, cognitive-behavioural therapy, parent training, and neurofeedback to promote emotional wellness in children
- Explore effective classroom interventions, treatment options, and assessment strategies for children with emotional self-regulation and conduct disorders
Continuing Education Credits
This workshop has been formally approved by the following associations:
- Canadian Addiction Counsellors Certification Federation (CACCF)
- Canadian College of Professional Counsellors and Psychotherapists (CCPCP)
- Canadian Counselling and Psychotherapy Association (CCPA)
- Canadian Professional Counsellors Association (CPCA)
- Canadian Psychological Association (CPA)
- Canadian Vocational Rehabilitation Association (VRA)
- Indigenous Certification Board of Canada (ICBOC)
- Ontario Association of Consultants, Counsellors, Psychometrists and Psychotherapists (OACCPP)
- Ontario Expressive Arts Therapy Association (OEATA)
† The Alberta College of Social Workers (ACSW) and the Newfoundland and Labrador Association of Social Workers (NLASW) accept CPA-approved CEUs.
* Participants will receive a certificate of completion after every workshop. Workshops are pre-approved for 5.5 or 6 credits per day unless otherwise specified.
Steven G. Feifer, D.Ed., ABSNP is an internationally renowned speaker and author in the field of learning disabilities, and has authored seven books on learning and emotional disorders in children. He was voted the Maryland School Psychologist of the Year in 2008, and awarded the 2009 National School Psychologist of the Year. Dr. Feifer is a licensed psychologist currently employed at the Monocacy Neurodevelopmental Center in Frederick, MD, and also teaches in the ABSNP neuropsychology training program, as well as consults with numerous school districts. Dr. Feifer has authored two tests on diagnosing learning disabilities in children.
“Very good presentation. Thorough scientific content. Very clear about information. Afternoon presentation, very clear, excellent content. This is a deeply competent, expert + well informed.”
– Langley, BC | November 20 – 22, 2017
“Congratulations Dr. Feifer on being one of the first American presenters I have heard who took the time to do research + make slides with Canadian info + statistics, when presenting in Canada!”
– Langley, BC | November 20 – 22, 2017
“Very engaging speaker – obviously passionate about what he does. Fantastic balance of theory/practical applications. Visual format of slides were easy to see/follow plus he used to guide his discussions but didn’t read off them. Feifer made the audience feel at ease and welcome to ask questions.”
– Saskatoon, SK | May 10 – 12, 2017
“Thank you so much for an interesting workshop. I enjoyed the information because the neuropsychology aspect is so important to why and where we need to go with literacy interventions.”
– Tracie McDonald | Winnipeg, MB | December 3, 2015
Who Should Attend
Education and Clinical Professionals: K–12 Classroom Teachers, School Counsellors/Psychologists, Learning Assistance/ Resource Teachers, School Administrators, School Paraprofessionals including Special Education Assistants, Classroom Assistants and Childcare Workers. All other professionals who support students including but not limited to: Nurses, Social Workers, Psychologists, Clinical Counsellors, Family Therapists, Occupational Therapists, Speech Language Pathologists, Addiction Counsellors, Youth Workers, Mental Health Workers, Probation Officers, Police Officers, and Early Childhood Educators.
Parents, Caregiver, Foster Parents, Grandparents, and Extended Family raising a child.
Best Western Premier Calgary Plaza Hotel & Conference Centre
1316 33 St NE, T2A 6B6, Calgary, AB
May 7 – May 9, 2019
Block ID: 10548
Single/Double Rate – $135
Triple Rate – $150
Quad Rate – $165
Single/Double Rate – $160
Triple Rate – $175
Quad Rate – $190
Release Date: April 7, 2019
When booking hotel rooms, ask for the Jack Hirose and Associates corporate rate. To receive our corporate rate, rooms must be booked one month prior to the workshop date. Please keep in mind hotel rates may fluctuate.
Registration & Fees
|Registration||Early bird Fee||Regular Fee|
|Individual 1 Day Enrolment||$249||$269|
|Individual 2 Day Enrolment||$449||$469|
|Individual 3 Day Enrolment||$619||$639|
All fees are in Canadian dollars ($CAD).
Fees do not include applicable taxes (5% GST).
Early bird cutoff date: April 24, 2019
To receive the early bird rate, registration and payment must be received by Wednesday, April 24, 2019.
Please review our Registration Terms and Conditions for information on our cancellation policy, payment policies, rebates, and more. You must agree to our Terms and Conditions to register for a workshop or conference.
All brochures and forms are provided in .PDF format.
If you are unable to open our files, we recommend downloading Adobe Reader for free.