2 Day Intensive: Dialectical Behaviour Therapy
Presented by Eboni Webb, Psy.D.
Monday, May 27, 2019 – Tuesday, May 28, 2019 | Oakville, on
Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT) is one of the most empirically-supported therapies available to address many clinical disorders, even beyond Borderline Personality Disorder. Some of the key symptoms that DBT skills addresses includes confusion about the self, interpersonal chaos, mood lability, and impulsive behaviours. Studies have demonstrated that participation in skills groups for a year, which allows for two rounds of the skills series, increases client’s use of skills and decrease in dysfunctional coping behaviours and improved self-awareness. Teaching the DBT skills to easily dysregulated clients allows them to experience self-confidence and competence to mange their lives more effectively and develop sustaining relationships in many areas of life (e.g. marriage, work, school, etc.)
The skills modules of DBT provide a wonderful introduction into the comprehensive world of DBT treatment. Learning and teaching DBT skills in either an individual or group format will equip your clients to build a solid foundation for a meaningful life. This course will provide you with the philosophy and format to teach all four standard DBT modules as well as two extra supplemental modules that can deepen you and your client’s respective skills toolkits.
- Validation is a primary intervention to:
- Reduce acute emotionality
- Provide gentle exposure to emotions
- Provide a corrective validating environment (and new learning)
- Create a bridge to learning self-validation
- Open the client up to change interventions
- Mindfulness (non-judgment and acceptance) is taught to:
- Reduce amplifying emotions
- Reduce escape and avoidance of emotions
- Create qualitatively different and effective experience of emotions
- Distress Tolerance is taught to:
- Provide healthy ways of coping with emotions when needed
- Emotion regulation is taught to:
- Understand how emotion happen
- Reduce vulnerability to intense emotions
- Increase opportunities for positive emotions
- Assist in stepping out of ineffective mood-congruent behaviors
Agenda & Learning Objectives
Neurobiological Building Blocks
- Why DBT skills?
- Trauma and Development
- The benefit of top-down and bottom-up process learning
Creating the Learning Container
- Importance of skills as a form of self-advocacy and consultation
- Setting up a group
- Establishing safety
- Making the environment conducive for learning
The Foundational Skills: Mindfulness & Dialectics
- Dialectical skills framework
- States of Mind
- WHAT skills
- HOW skills
Naming to Tame: Emotion Regulation
- How emotions work in the body
- 10 Universal emotions
- Emotion action decision tree
- Opposite action
- Caring for the body
- Resourcing the body with positive experiences and building mastery
Thriving in a Crisis: Distress Tolerance & Self-Compassion
- Grounding: Self-Soothe
- Skillful Distractions: ACCEPTS
- Crisis Integration: IMPROVE
- Pros and Cons
- Radical Acceptance
- Letting go of toxic shame in a crisis: Self-Compassion
Connection in Community: Interpersonal Effectiveness
- Wired for connection
- FAST skills
- GIVE skills
- Validation (Self & Others)
- Prioritizing Self and Others
- Learn each standard DBT skills module and two supplemental modules.
- Learn creative and innovative techniques to keep client’s engaged in today’s technology-centered world.
- Explore the different modes of skills groups to set up the most effective program for your practice.
- Set up skills group treatment expectations and behavioural contracts.
Continuing Education Credits
Eboni Webb, Psy.D., earned her doctorate of clinical psychology from the Minnesota school of Professional Psychology (Argosy University) and is the owner of Kairos Mental Health Cooperative, LLC, which offers diverse DBT programming to children and adults. She continues to serve as an advisor to the Dialectical Behavior Therapy National Certification and Accreditation Association (DBTNCAA) and a continuing education Dialectical Behavior Therapy trainer for PESI, inc.
“Eboni is a dynamic + knowledgeable presenter. She was able to maintain our interest through the use of information and personal stories. I learned a lot and I am intrigued to learn more.”
– Langley, BC | November 20-22, 2017
“Dr. Webb is amazing. Great examples and excellent presenter.”
– Edmonton, AB | April 3-5, 2017
“Dr. Eboni Webb is fantastic! I would love to be more like her not only with patients but also as a mom! Thank you.”
– Corrie Sondeli | Winnipeg, MB | June 1-3, 2016
“Wonderful! Today was advanced, comprehensive, motivating. Knowledge and learning applicable across spectrum of work.”
– Winnipeg, MB | June 1-3, 2016
More information: http://www.kairosmentalhealth.com/KMH/
Who Should Attend
Clinical Professionals: All mental health professionals including, but not limited to Clinical Counsellors, Psychologists, Psychotherapists, Social Workers, Nurses, Occupational Therapists, Hospice and Palliative Care Workers, Youth Workers, Mental Health Workers, Addiction Specialists, Marital & Family Therapists, Speech Language Pathologists, Vocational Rehabilitation Consultants and all professionals looking to enhance their therapeutic skills.
Holiday Inn Oakville at Bronte
2525 Wyecroft Rd, Oakville, ON
Please check back at a later time as this information will be updated when corporate/group rates are secured.
Staybridge Suites Oakville-Burlington
2511 Wyecroft Road,Oakville, ON
* Please check back at a later time as this information will be updated when corporate/group rates are secured.
When booking hotel rooms, ask for the Jack Hirose and Associates corporate rate. To receive our corporate rate, rooms must be booked one month prior to the workshop date. Please keep in mind hotel rates may fluctuate.
Registration & Fees
|Registration||Early bird Fee||Regular Fee|
All fees are in Canadian Dollars ($CAD)
Fees do not include applicable taxes (13% HST).
Early bird cutoff date: May 13, 2019
To receive the early bird rate, registration and payment must be received by Monday, May 13, 2019.
Please review our Registration Terms and Conditions for information on our cancellation policy, payment policies, rebates, and more. You must agree to our Terms and Conditions to register for a workshop or conference.
All brochures and forms are provided in .PDF format.
If you are unable to open our files, we recommend downloading Adobe Reader for free.
Exhibitors are welcome at this event. We are pleased to offer sponsorship opportunities to businesses and organizations that provide services related to nursing, psychotherapy, addictions treatment, counselling, marriage & family therapy, psychology and other related fields.
→ More information
There are no related events at this time.